Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What can you sue for in a personal injury case?”


A recent news report revealed that several people in Raleigh, North Carolina were transported to WakeMed hospital for treatment following an accident Thursday evening involving a popular ride at the North Carolina State Fair.

State Fair Ride Charlotte Injury Lawyer Wrongful Death Attorney North Carolina.jpgOfficials say that given how recently the accident occurred they are not yet sure of precisely how many people were injured. However, witnesses told local reporters that five people, maybe more, were seriously injured when they were thrown from a spinning ride. A WakeMed spokesperson confirmed that five people from the fair were under evaluation by doctors in the emergency room, but could not say how serious their injuries were.

Though details are sketchy, fair officials say that the accident took place on the Vortex ride which is located near the old midway between Gates 4 and 5. Witnesses say that accident took place on the newer of two Vortex machines and that it appears as if the victims fell out of the pendulum-swing ride. One person told a local NBC station that he heard a crashing sound soon after getting off the ride. When he turned around he saw several people lying face down on the ground and the ride’s operator then fell to his knees crying. The entire area surrounding the ride has since been shut down as emergency crews work at the scene of the accident.

Though most people understand that some amount of risk is associated with amusement park rides, many would be surprised to learn just how often serious injuries occur on seemingly safe rides. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), more than 7,000 people seek emergency room treatment for amusement park injuries in the United States each and every year.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What if a loved one dies from the injuries sustained in a serious accident while the case is pending?”


In a troubling revelation, officials with the Rowan-Salisbury School District say they have video showing 45 impatient drivers speeding past stopped school buses. Not only is the video incriminating, it reveals how drivers seemingly uninterested in obeying the rules of the road endanger children on a regular basis.

School Sign Charlotte Injury Lawyer Wrongful death Attorney North Carolina.jpgThe videos come from several school buses that district officials chose to outfit with special cameras. The cameras were placed to be able to spot vehicles near the bus and capture license plate information to then turn over to authorities. Officials say that since the videos were turned over to law enforcement officials, 43 of the drivers have either been found guilty or pleaded guilty illegally passing a stopped bus with flashing lights.

The issue received increased attention after a 17-year-old student at West Rowan High School was hit and killed last week by a passing driver. Police say that Makinzy Smith died after she was hit by a vehicle driven by Barbara Smith who refused to stop for the school bus.

Rowan County says that other school systems should consider adopting a similar camera system in an attempt to raise awareness over student safety while traveling on buses. According to officials with the NC State Highway Patrol the problem is a widespread one and is certainly not confined to Rowan County.

In fact, figures released by the Highway Patrol show that a pilot program was undertaken last year where bus drivers were asked to keep track of the number of cars they witnessed passing their buses over the course of a single school day. The tally, which was taken in 2011, revealed shocking figures. Bus drivers say that they spotted 3,196 vehicles illegally passing their stopped school buses at over 2,200 school bus stops across the state. This means that thousands of young children were placed in potential danger.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What can you sue for in a personal injury case?”


A North Carolina husband and wife were killed this past week after being hit from behind by a pickup truck. According to police the accident occurred when their motorcycle was rear-ended along N.C. 87 North.

Open Road Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful Death Attorney Lawyer.jpgHighway Patrol officials say that the accident occurred just before 8 p.m. when a truck driven by Michael Ahlgren hit the back of the motorcycle carrying Michael and Shanon Turner. Police say the accident happened after Ahlgren was driving closely behind the couple and failed to see that the Turner’s had put on their turn signal. Authorities say that by the time Ahlgren noticed that the Turner’s were slowing down it was too late. Ahlgren was simply traveling too fast to come to a stop.

Given the speed with which the motorcycle was hit, both Michael and Shanon were ejected from the bike and thrown onto the pavement. Emergency responders pronounced both dead on the scene while Ahlgren was unhurt.

Police say that an investigation revealed alcohol was not a factor in the accident. However, Ahlgren was charged with two counts of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. His bond was set at $2,500.

Risk of being thrown from a motorcycle is one of the reasons that motorcycle riding can be so dangerous. While occupants of a passenger vehicle can also be ejected, the risk is much less serious given that seat belts do such a good job of keeping passengers inside the vehicle. Motorcycles lack these restraints and are easily thrown from their bikes onto hard pavement, or even worse, into other lanes of traffic.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What exactly is a wrongful death claim?”


An official with the North Carolina Highway Patrol says that a man from Louisburg, NC has been charged in connection with the death of one person and serious injuries to another. The deadly accident took place last weekend along I-540 in Raleigh.

Fuel Gage Charlotte Personal Injury Car Wreck Attorney Lawyer.jpgState Troopers say that Paul Jago was merging onto I-540 from Six Forks Road when he crashed into two people attempting to put gasoline in their stalled vehicle. Lenny Reyes was injured in the accident while 25-year-old Lauren Ann Gervig tragically lost her life.

Gervig’s friends and family were stunned at the news, saying that they count not believe the young mother was gone. Gervig was a hair stylist in Wake Forest and had recently taken medical leave due to issues with epilepsy. Despite these troubles, friends say she was an amazing mother for her six-year-old daughter.

According to Highway Patrol officials, Gervig died in the service of a friend. She had taken a cab and a gas can to come and help Reyes whose Dodge Charger had run out of gas. She and Reyes were standing on the shoulder of the interstate with the gas door open when Jago entered the on-ramp. Witnesses say that Jago was watching for merging traffic and never saw Reyes or Gervig on the side of the road. Gervig was killed when Jago clipped the rear corner of the Charger and Reyes suffered serious injuries. Authorities say Reyes is in good condition at WakeMed.

Tragically, individuals stopped on the side of roads are often victims of similar accidents, resulting in serious injuries or even loss of life. Police say such accidents are often caused due to inattentiveness on the part of passing motorists. As a result, drivers in the area of stopped cars should remain vigilant and alert, making sure to put down any personal electronic devices like cellphones and focus solely on the road in front of you.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What can you sue for in a personal injury case?”


A man was killed while riding his motorcycle along I-77 in Charlotte, NC according to officials with the North Carolina Highway Patrol. Troopers say the man died this past Sunday afternoon after another motorcycle sideswiped him near mile marker 38.

Motorcycle on road Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful Death Attorney Lawyer.jpgThe wreck took place a little after four in the afternoon where I-77 crosses over I-85. Highway Patrol officials say the two motorcycles collided with each other and were both pushed into the concrete median wall. The accident not only pushed the cyclists into the median, but both then swerved back across the interstate before finally colliding with the shoulder wall on the bridge over I-85.

Jennifer Hendrix was thrown from her motorcycle during the accident bike and landed in the middle of the travel lanes of I-77. She was thankfully able to get up and run to safety before any vehicles collided with her. Sadly, Nick Prianos was not so lucky and was thrown from his motorcycle after it collided with the concrete shoulder of I-77. Prianos was thrown clear of the median wall where he then fell to his death onto northbound I-85 below.

Police say both cyclists were wearing helmets at the time of the accident. Troopers are working to reconstruct the accident to determine if speed may have been a factor in the deadly accident. So far, no charges have been filed as police continue their investigation.

According to the federal government, per miles traveled, there are 35 times more deaths from motorcycle accidents than from car accidents. Because of these alarmingly high crash rates, it is important for motorcyclists to understand the most frequent causes of such accidents.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “Is a tractor-trailer accident the same as an automobile accident?”


Authorities from Morganton, NC say that a number of local Burke County students have been taken to the hospital after their school bus overturned yesterday morning. Officials say that the accident happened on wet roads near a curve about eight miles northwest of Morganton. The accident took place a little after 7:30 in the morning as the children were heading to school. The bus was heading north along Frank Whisnant Road when it dropped off the right shoulder and overturned.

School Bus Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful death Attorney Lawyer.jpgEmergency responders say several children were injured in the accident, though none of the injuries were life-threatening. A total of eight students and the driver were ultimately taken to a Morganton hospital for treatment. Officials with Burke County school system say the bus was loaded with students heading to Oak Hill Elementary School.

So far a specific cause for the accident has not been identified, though police say the rain and wet roads were likely to blame. Officers cited the driver with a lane-control violation and say that the bus driver was partially to blame for allowing the vehicle to drift off the road.

Parents interviewed by local new stations say they aren’t especially upset with the driver, but do think the incident calls into question why school buses lack many basic security features common in passenger vehicles. While the vast majority of parents would never let their young children get into a car without putting on a seatbelt, sadly millions of kids every day hop on board school buses that lack any kind of safety restraint.

Only about 20 percent of the nation’s 480,000 school buses have seat belts available, and only six states — New York, New Jersey, California, Texas, Louisiana and Florida — have laws that begin to address seat belts on school buses. Industry groups have lobbied against other laws, arguing that the cost is prohibitive. Depending on the size, a typical new school bus costs in the vicinity of $75,000 to $85,000. Outfitting a single bus with seat belts can cost anywhere from $5,485 to $7,346.

Continue Reading


Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What exactly is a wrongful death claim?”
A church family in Statesville, NC is grappling with a tragedy this morning after a bus carrying members of the congregation crashed in eastern Tennessee. The terrible accident left eight people dead and 14 other seriously injured.

Tire tread Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful Death Attorney Lawyer.jpgAccording to authorities, at least six of the eight people who died in the crash were thought to be members of the Young at Heart program. The group was made up of senior citizens at the Front Street Baptist Church. All of the 14 people who were identified as injured were senior citizens. Officials with UT Hospital say two of those injured were still in critical condition as of Thursday morning.

Emergency responders say that the church bus was carrying 18 people at the time of the horrific crash. The group was heading back home to Statesville from the recent Fall Jubilee Conference in Gatlinburg. Authorities say that the deadly chain of events began when a front tire on the bus blew out as it was heading east on I-40. The bus then crossed the median and slammed into the front of an oncoming tractor-trailer and SUV. The force of the accident caused the bus to flip over and resulted in a fire in the tractor-trailer.

Police say six of those killed were on the church bus while two others were in the vehicles hit by the out of control bus. Jefferson County emergency officials who responded to the wreck said that the incident marked the deadliest crash in the county in decades.

Tire blowouts are a constant danger to motorists, but when they happen on large buses it can be especially dangerous. A large commercial vehicle can easily lose control after a tire blowout, endangering not only passengers in the vehicle, but all those drivers in the vicinity given the size and speed of such commercial vehicles.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What exactly is a wrongful death claim?”


All hotels in North Carolina will now have to install carbon monoxide detectors in every room. The law is one of many new measures that officially go into effect on October 1st.

Carbon Monoxide Detector Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful Death Attorney Lawyer.jpgThe new legislation is long overdue and sadly only passed after a tragic episode earlier this year at a Boone, NC hotel left several people dead. Investigators say that a carbon monoxide leak from a faulty indoor pool heater spread down a hall and into a room where three people were staying at the Best Western.

Investigators determined that the carbon monoxide leak led to the deaths of a couple from Washington state on April 16th as well as to the June 8th death of an 11-year-old boy from Rock Hill. The latter incident not only resulted in the death of the 11-year-old, but also in severe injuries to the boy’s mother who is still recovering from the carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as a silent killer, given that the gas is odorless and colorless and can cause serious illness or death in a matter of minutes. It is emitted from cars and other fuel-burning machines or appliances. A survey by the state revealed that carbon monoxide has killed some 400 people in North Carolina since 2001, 39 of whom were here in Mecklenburg County. The overwhelming majority of these deaths were accidental and were often caused by ordinary appliances such as grills or cars left running inside garages.

Not only do such accidents happen at home, but there have also been several occasions where hotel guests have been injured due to carbon monoxide leaks. Beyond the two incidents in Boone, another case out of Winston-Salem from earlier this year left two Charlotte residents severely ill after carbon monoxide poisoning in their hotel room. Back in 2008, eight guests at the Super 8 Motel in Raleigh were injured due carbon monoxide that came from a leaky water heater.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “What exactly is a wrongful death claim?”


Police in Chapel Hill, NC say that a second bike rider has died after being involved in a hit-and-run accident last week. Authorities say the accident happened as the cyclists were heading south along U.S. Highway 15/501 at around 11:30 p.m. Thursday evening.

Bike Spokes Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful Death Attorney Lawyer.jpgWhile the two cyclists, Alexandra Simou and Ivin Scurlock, were riding south of Chapel Hill, police say they were hit from behind by a passenger vehicle. The force of the collision was great and Scurlock died at the scene of the accident. A spokesperson for UNC Hospitals said that Simou was transported to the facility for treatment and died on Sunday from her injuries.

A ghost bike has since been placed at the scene of the accident by family and friends to serve as a memorial for the couple. Ghost bikes are white bicycle replicas, usually miniature versions of bikes, which are placed along roadsides to serve as memorials for those who have been killed in car accidents. The bikes are meant to serve as eerie reminders of the damage a car can do to those simply out for a ride. The ghost bike memorials are not just a North Carolina phenomenon, but have been popping up all around the world, with one website listing some 600 of them in more than 100 U.S. citizens and nearly two-dozen countries.

According to North Carolina Highway Patrol officials, authorities are still searching for the car that hit the rider. So far police say they believe the vehicle is a sedan that has some front-end damage and likely a damaged windshield. Anyone with information about the accident is urged to contact his or her local law enforcement officials.

Overall, hundreds of cyclists die and thousands more are injured in tragic accidents just like this one every year. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 618 cyclists were killed and 52,000 injured in crashes with motor vehicles in 2010 alone. The number of deaths is far too high and speaks to how much work remains to be done to educate drivers about the importance of watching out for cyclists.

Continue Reading

Attorney Matthew R. Arnold answering the question: “Are the laws or rules applying to a wrongful death claim different from a personal injury not involving death?”


Police in Charlotte say they have charged an 18-year-old driver with involuntary manslaughter after a deadly accident occurred in south Charlotte last week. The hit-and-run collision left a 19-year-old driver and a three-year-old passenger dead.

Telephone Pole Charlotte North Carolina Personal Injury Wrongful death attorney lawyer.jpgAccording to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, the accident took place last Wednesday at around 6 p.m. on Sharon Road West. Authorities say a 2002 Mercy Sable collided with a utility pole near the intersection with Hopeton Road. The driver of that car, a 19-year-old named Shaquise Bush, died at the scene of the crash. A passenger in that car, Shanquise Wilson, was seriously injured and taken to Carolinas Medical Center for treatment.

Three other small children in the car, an 18-month-old girl, a 22-month-old girl and a three-year-old boy, were all critically injured. Authorities say it was after being taken to the hospital that the three-year-old succumbed to the traumatic injuries he suffered in the accident.

Police say they received a tip that a white pickup truck, driven by Uriel Eduardo Flores, was involved in the accident but took off from the crash scene before police officers were able to arrive on location. Flores later turned himself into police and was questioned by investigators about his role in the accident. Police say they are still investigating exactly what caused the deadly crash. In the meantime, Flores is now facing charges of involuntary manslaughter and felony hit-and-run.

Continue Reading

Contact Information